Like the rest of 158 (Royal Welch) Brigade, they were Territorial Army soldiers, with the initial Battalion formed (like the rest of 158 Brigade) primarily from North Wales. Of course conscription and men volunteering for service saw their numbers shift and bolstered by non-Welsh soldiers. The formation of 38th Welsh Division saw more men drawn out. However the Battalion retained its Royal Welch identity and embraced those who came into it from all parts of the UK, as seen in the other converted RWF Battalions.
Through intensive training, Battle School, exercises at Company to Divisional level the 4th Battalion was moulded into a fine fighting formation, well lead by Lieutenant-Colonel 'Jimmy' Rice-Evans. As part of 158 (Royal Welch) Brigade they yearned for their first chance to engage the Germans and put their years of training behind them.
Eventually they recieved their wish as 53rd Welsh Division became part of XII Corps they prepared for their deployment to France, they began learning how to waterproof their vehicles, use captured German equipment, and practiced an increasingly number of Tactical Exercises Without Troops (TEWTs) to ensure they were as ready as possible for the fighting that was to come.
Colonel J A Rice-Evans (centre), CO of 4 RWF,, briefs his officers from his slit trench at battalion HQ before an attack towards Evrecy, 16 July 1944. [IWM
Men of the 4 RWF construct a dug-out by the side of a knocked-out German StuG III assault gun near Weeze, 3 March 1945. [IWM]
Men of the 4 RWF fire a Bren gun from a window in Weeze, 3 March 1945. [IWM]
Unit Pride and Sportsmanship
The 'Flash' on the back of the Fusiliers battledress was a symbol of immense pride and its heritage goes back to the founding of the RWF itself. When the white pigtail worn by the soldiers in the RWF for many years in the 1700s was discontinued in 1808, This occured whilst the RWF were stationed in America, when they returned they retained the ribbons which tied the pigtail together and were granted a special concession from the King to do this.
During the First World War the Army Board recommended that the flash should be removed as enemy intelligence officers would be able to rapidly assess which unit they were fighting against. The King steadfastly rejected this saying, "The enemy will never see the backs of the Royal Welch Fusiliers."
During the Second World War, however, it soon became clear that such easy identification of a unit could be disasterous. After heated debate it was decided that only Officers could wear their flash if they so wished in combat - in order to allievate the other ranks concerns, the Flashes were taken wherever the Fusiliers travelled in wooden boxes, pressed and immediately ready for use at the ceasing of hostilities! Consequently you can usually easily identify RWF infantry in photographs in the 1940s by officers proudly wearing the Flash.
Members of the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore the leek behind their cap badge on St. Davids Day to mark it. This was common throughout the regiment along with the eating of the leek by all new members on St Davids Day.
Members of the Royal Welch Fusiliers wore the leek behind their cap badge on St. Davids Day to mark it. This was common throughout the regiment along with the eating of the leek by all new members on St Davids Day. It is notable that the Army was able to supply leeks to all RWF units for St Davids Day in the NWE and Italian campaigns!